Looking for the Carp

Seize the carp! Or the day! Or the moment! Anything that will help make this life of yours richer, filled with love, and acceptance of yourself. This is my little journey to always be on the look out for that carp, grabbing it, and never letting go. This is the only life we have and it's too short for what ifs and maybe laters!

Wednesday 22 June 2011

8th Blog- Phases of Life

As as high school teacher, I see it every year around this time with graduates who are anxiously waiting to receive their high school diplomas, put on their prom dresses/ tuxes, and participate in all those final rituals that end one phase of life. I look across the stage and I see students who may, or may not, be ready to taste the real world. However, it doesn't matter whether I think they are prepared, after a walk towards the podium, a shake of the hand, and a farewell speech by the valedictorian they are on their way. Usually I do shed a tear to see them go, I hope that their lives are filled with more happiness than sadness, more success than failures. But funny enough, it does make on reflect on their own life, the phases I've gone through and where I am now. 


So the phases that I have gone through: 
  The university drunk/ party go-er phase 
  The single after a long term relationship phase 
  The proving I'm completely different from my mother phase 
  The rebel phase 
  Roommate/ living on my own phase 
  The string of dating people bad for me phase 
  The "Wake up and start doing well" phase
  Graduating from University phase (1st degree) 
  Learning who my true friends are phase 
  Self-Discovery Phase 
  Graduating from University phase (2nd degree) 
  Becoming an adult phase (complete with life insurance and RRSP's) 
  Starting my profession phase 
  Knowing what I deserve from a partner and finding it phase 
  Knowing what I want out of life phase 
  Marriage / Homeowner phase 




All in all, I have gone through many phases/ stages of life. For the most part I have really enjoyed the last 10 years since high school, appreciate the journey I have traveled, and embrace the person I am today. Creating this list of phases really helps to show how much I have matured, how far I have come from those days when I thought I knew everything and could do no wrong. The best part of this life is there are always new phases on the horizon. A new goal, a new experience, a different test to help shape me and prepare me for the next stage of life. The future is the most exciting part of our existence. It is the unknown, filled with possibilities for us to do better, love more, achieve more, and be happy. And to be on the cusp of late twenties/ early thirties, I'm enjoying this vast 'question mark' time period. I have already done the hard leg work through my previous phases.... self-discovery, love, profession. Now I get to enjoy the fruits of all that labour and continue my phases of adult-hood, newlyweds, and new homeowners. The next stages of life could be mother, world traveler, educational research, master's degree.... anything!


So in short, the carp I am seizing today is phases of life. The ones I have accomplished, the ones I'm on the road of working towards accomplishing, and the ones yet to come. Thank you graduates for reminding me how important it is to appreciate the end of each phase and to taste the excitement of the next one.




What's your carp? 

No comments:

Post a Comment